Braces vs. Invisalign: What Are the Pros and Cons?
When it comes to your child’s teeth, it is important to be fully aware and mindful of the pros and cons of any recommended dental procedure or treatment so that you can make the right choices.
For years now, there has been an ongoing debate as to whether Invisalign is the better alternative to getting metal braces. Quite simply, you cannot say for sure that one is better than the other from just knowing what each procedure is meant to do. Why? Because just like any other kind of treatment, it all depends on the diagnosis — on whether a treatment is the best for you. There are cases wherein having braces is the only solution, or getting Invisalign is the logical choice, and then there are cases when you actually have the freedom to choose between the two.
So, if your child undergoes an assessment by your trusted dentist and you are given the option to choose between getting traditional metal braces and Invisalign to improve your child’s teeth, you can certainly make a more informed decision by knowing the pros and the cons of each. Let us break it down for you.
The pros of braces:
- Braces are permanent so there is no delay in the correction of the teeth.
- Complicated issues are not a problem. Braces can correct the most crooked teeth.
- Braces are easier to clean.
- Visits to the dentist to follow up or tighten braces is approximately required only once a month.
- It is cheaper than Invisalign.
- It comes in different colors so it can look aesthetically pleasing.
The pros of Invisalign:
- It looks invisible so people do not easily notice that you have aligners on your teeth.
- You can take them off before mealtimes so you can eat properly.
- It is great for athletes, especially those who are into contact sports.
- You do not have to worry about food getting caught in the aligners.
Cons of braces:
- They are not recommended for athletes who are into contact sports.
- Pain and discomfort can be experienced because of the wires.
- Food gets caught in the braces and eating certain types of food can damage it.
Cons of Invisalign:
- Treatment could be delayed if the patient regularly forgets to put and keep the aligners on.
- It cannot correct some issues, such as back tooth bite.
- The aligners easily stain.
Correcting teeth must be done by experienced, qualified orthodontists. Consulting them fully beforehand is important. It is also crucial that you choose a reputable dentist who can provide the kids dental services that are appropriate to your child’s specific condition.
Be cool Surfers!